For nearly 3 decades, Ed Hovatter has built a reputation as a well-rounded, energetic business attorney, helping clients throughout the New Jersey and Pennsylvania regions, making deals and solving problems. He has diverse experience in private practice and as corporate counsel for well-known companies, including serving as Executive Vice President, Director of Human Resources and General Counsel for Dietz & Watson, Inc. where he managed the legal work of several outside law firms and HR issues for over 1,000 employees. Ed specializes in business and commercial transactions; residential, commercial, and industrial real estate issues; business disputes, complex commercial matters; estate planning; OSHA matters from workplace violations to workplace fatalities; and New Jersey real estate tax foreclosure. He is extremely well-networked in the New Jersey and Philadelphia region business communities and excels at connecting his clients with the experts and resources they need.
Ed is a member of the Firm’s Real Estate Group and is known for his keen business sense. He is rated AV Preeminent, the highest level of professional excellence, by the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings. The ratings are an objective indicator of a lawyer’s high ethical standards and professional ability, generated from evaluations by other members of the bar and judiciary in the United States and Canada. He is a member of the Worldwide Registry.
Ed’s practice embraces the full array of business matter in general business, property and real estate matters in particular, including:
- Acquisition, development, and sale of residential and commercial real estate, including zoning and land use work, appearing before government authorities and obtaining municipal, county, state and federal approvals.
- Construction, including contracts with general contractors, architects, engineers, and environmental consultants.
- Commercial leases.
- Contracts with brokers and other real estate professionals.
- Expertise in tax liens and foreclosures, and the disposition of foreclosed property.
- National companies expanding their businesses across the United States.
- Landlords and tenants.
- Professional athletes.
- Owners, buyers, and sellers of tax lien portfolios.
- Individuals buying their first home.
Here are a few of Ed’s recent projects:
- Subdividing a property into a 276-lot residential community and subsequently selling it to a public construction company.
- Representing a national furniture chain in its land use applications.
- Establishing a food distribution center for a national food company.
- Expanding a local preeminent private school campus to 48 acres by acquiring additional property.
- Rehabilitating and renovating a historic building into housing for medical students.
- Representing a restauranteur acquiring a chain of restaurants in Pennsylvania and Florida.
- Converting a blighted area into a residential and commercial redevelopment project consisting of residential apartment buildings, an active adult center, commercial and retail shops, a restaurant and a food bank for the underprivileged.
- Developing property for a pet resort consisting of daycare, overnight care and currently expanding this facility to add an urgent care center for pets.
- Expanding an agricultural site for farming, together with a retail garden center and self-storage facilities.
- Representing a trucking company expanding into another state for trucking depot and truck wash services.
- Selling a trucking and freight company including real estate and assets to a national company.
Ed completed his law degree at Temple University Beasley School of Law. Professionally, he affiliated with the Gloucester County Bar Association, the Burlington County Bar Association, and the Camden County Bar Association. He has served as a member of the board of trustees for Moorestown Friends School for 10 years. Ed has been named “top attorney” more than ten (10) times in local and national publications.
JD, Temple Law School (1991)
Moot Court Honor Society (1990)
Best Brief & Best Argument, Samuel J. Polsky Moot Court Competition (1990)
BA, Temple University, 1988 with Distinction in Major (4.0 GPA)
Supreme Court of New Jersey (1991)
Supreme Court of Pennsylvania (1991)
United States District Court of New Jersey (1991)
United State District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (1991)
Bar Association Memberships
Burlington County Bar Association
Camden County Bar Association
Other Honors & Activities
Who’s Who in American Law-Seventh Edition 1990 to 1991
Moorestown Friends School (Trustee)
Recording Clerk (Secretary) 2005 to 2010
School Committee Member (Property Committee)
Development Clerk- 2000 to 2005