Thomas J. Kent, Jr. is a co-founder of the firm, Giannascoli & Kent, P.C. Tom focuses on franchise law, particularly the representation of emerging growth and middle market franchisors, as well as mergers and acquisitions, and other corporate and financing transactions. He regularly counsels both US and international franchisors on a wide variety of matters, including the development and implementation of growth, monetization and exit strategies for franchisors, compliance with federal and state regulations, commercial real estate matters, employment law issues, and the negotiation, documentation, and enforcement of franchise agreements. Tom assists prospective franchisors position their businesses for growth through franchising or development of distribution networks. He also structures, negotiates and documents master franchise and area representation agreements.
In addition to franchising, Tom represents corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships in the sale and/or acquisition of businesses in the financial services, manufacturing, transportation, restaurant, professional services, automotive and technology sectors and industries. He has extensive experience handling joint ventures, licenses, private placements, mergers and acquisitions and reorganizations.
Prior to founding the firm of Giannascoli & Kent, Tom was a Partner with Fox Rothschild LLP, where he was Co-chair of its Franchising, Licensing and Distribution Practice. Earlier in his career, Tom served as in-house counsel with Cottman Transmission Systems LLC, where he became Director of Center Development before beginning the private practice of law.
- Represented a private equity company in a $150,000,000 acquisition of two franchise brands consisting of approximately 700 franchise locations.
- Represented a distributor in the sale of 30 retail locations to a private equity company for approximately $20,000,000 (transaction terminated).
- Successfully defended a Franchisor in a trademark infringement claim brought by a competing franchise system.
- Franchised a restaurant concept with approximately 20 locations in order to expand the brand nationally.
- Formed an international professional sports league with teams operating in approximately 12 cities with plans for continued expansion.
- Represented a national beverage distributor in licensing of various trademarks and products.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer and distributor in a joint venture with an international manufacturer to increase manufacturing capacity and enter new markets.
- Converted a license based system to a franchise system resulting in improved profitability and operations.
A member of the Bar of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Tom earned his undergraduate degree at Villanova University and his law degree at Widener University School of Law.
Pennsylvania Restaurant & Lodging Association, Board Member
Archbishop John Carroll High School, Board Member
Glenmoore Eagle Youth Association, Board Member & Coach
Saint Frances Cabrini Mission School: Advisory Board Member
Business Leaders Organized for Catholic Schools (BLOCS): Board Member
T: (610) 363-9333